Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science. GATE is conducted jointly by IISc, Bangalore and other seven IIT’s on behalf of the National Coordinating Board, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development.
The GATE score of a candidate reflects the relative performance level of a candidate. The score is used for admissions to various post graduation programs in Indian higher education institutes, with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other government agencies. Recently, GATE scores are also being used by several Indian public sector undertakings (i.e., government-owned companies) for recruiting graduate engineers in entry-level positions. It is one of the most competitive examinations in India. GATE is also recognized by various institutes outside India.
In GATE examination, candidates can apply for only one of the 24 papers listed in the table given below. Candidates are expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of their qualifying degree. However, candidates are free to choose any paper according to their admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which they wish to seek admission.
After successful attempt in GATE an aspirant can choose a wide range career destination :
- M.Tech/M.S./ M.E. – Candidates on qualifying GATE, get a financial aid of 12400/- per month in the form of UGC scholarship.
- PhD- from IITs, NITs, NITIE and various other reputed institutions.
- Several reputed PSUs and research organizations recruit on basis of GATE Score. i.e. IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC etc.
- Teaching: Professor, Asst. Professor at IITs, NITs, reputed educational institutes etc.
- Junior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Senior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Junior Research Associates/ Senior Project Associates.
- Scientists “C” grade jobs.
- Many renowned private firms shortlist candidates for personal interview based on the GATE score.